Anchorage Ron Moore 64' Quake Memories

Did you know that Ron Moore was back on the radio just 18 minutes after the 64' quake finally stopped? Check out Ron's amazing story in this edition.

Ron Moore at the Mic

What were the very first questions that popped into your head right after the earth stopped shaking, following the 1964 Great Alaska earthquake?

  1. What just happened?

  2. Are my family and friends alright?

  3. Where can I get information?

You may have had different questions, but one thing is sure. It wasn’t easy to get answers. No electricity meant that radio and TV stations had been knocked off the air.

But Ron Moore and KFQD radio came through. Ron Moore tells his amazing story.

Scotty Ferguson and yours truly were doing a 5:30 pm news-sports cast on KFQD.

I had just finished the news and Scotty was doing sports in the studio behind me but I could see through a mirror above me. 

A loud sound I thought was an airplane since QD was in a flight plan to the airport.  As it became louder, Scotty closed his mike switch and took off. 

I said "one moment Please" and headed for the door to the control center to see what was going on. 

A safe on wheels had exited the bookkeepers office and rolled down the hall and slammed into the door as I opened it so I went back to the control center and a large wall mounted speaker had fallen on the console so I chose to kill the power to the equipment and climbed over the safe which was not an easy task. 

As I headed for the door

I noticed Nancy Peck, daughter of aviation legend Jack Peck, pinned against the wall at the top of the stairs which were a good 10 feet above the parking lot.  So I grabbed Nancy and helped her down the stairs where we stood watching the cars rear end  bounce around with engines in the front those days. 

The tower guy wires were also a concern because they could give way and the tower head towards the parking lot where everyone was trying to hold on. 

The quake seemed to take forever, but as the quake subsided, everyone but yours truly took off to see what had happened to their homes. 

I went inside and saw extensive damage throughout and headed downstairs where there were two large diesel generators that had never been used. I had only been involved once with how they operated. 

It was hard to see down there

The first generator didn't turn over but the second started and immediately filled the room with black choking smoke.  I had forgotten to open the exhaust pipe that went outside. 

In the next room, a light bulb came on and I switched power from normal to generator.  Upstairs the meters on the transmitter that took up an entire wall were barely moving. But I found a portable radio and went in the control room and hard wired  a mike around the console to feed directly to the transmitter.  I heard feed back, so I knew we were getting out somewhat. 

That was 18 minutes after the quake stopped and for 54 hours I stayed on the air.

Largely because most staffers couldn't get by the fissures in the road and I couldn't get home.  I found out my wife was working downtown at the time and her Dad and my son were in front of the Anchorage Westward Hotel (Now the Hilton) to pick her up.  They escaped the falling debris from the front of the hotel. 

Most of my time on the air was spend delivering messages to listeners so they could find shelter and supplies to stay warn on a chilly March night. There wasn't any emergency communications except from car to car for the police and emergency personnel, so the Civil Defense people brought a radio to the control room and asked me to repeat messages throughout the next several days.

We directed our messages to a different part of town every 5 minutes so people could save batteries on their radios. 

One of the few reports of vandalism was about people breaking into stores to get batteries.  Radio was an undeniable friend back then. 

By the way, I didn't know for quite awhile how extensive the damage was city wide until the KFQD chief engineer came back to the station and told me he could hear me OK and that his two story house two blocks away on Clay Products Road now had the second floor at ground level. 

During a break on the front porch at night

I saw fires burning in the city, largely from gas explosion's. Fears during the night of a Tidal Wave never materialized and the aftershocks that continued for days kept us all on edge. 

KFQD and other broadcasters cut back on their operations for a long time since they weren't sure Anchorage was going to recover or how soon. 

So I went on the air from afternoons to over night for a couple of months and worked with the Anchorage Jaycees to solicit donations from other Jaycees nationwide. 

Quite and experience and one I will never forget.

You Can Share Ron’s Story Right Now

Share Anchorage Memories VIP

Get Ready to Play

Can you name those fries?

You’ll love this short video.


Check out your Anchorage Memories YouTube Channel right now.

Do You Have a Comment or Question?

Frank inquired:

“I’m trying to remember who was the co-anchor with John Valentine on KIMO channel 13 in the 1970s. She was a blond, and wasn’t there long.”

The Answer:

Anchorage Memories contacted our friend Cindy Suryan and the answer was -

Beverly Michaels

Remember Beverly on KIMO channel 13? Remember Cindy Suryan?

Have You Seen All the Great Anchorage Stories, pictures and videos?

Head on over to Anchorage right now. You’ll even find a page full of Coke Show memories with Ron Moore.

Stay in Touch

Our thanks to Ron Moore for getting things up and running at KFQD in just 18 minutes after the 64’ quake. And Wow… on the air for 54 hours. Remarkable. Ron must have had a case of “tattered tonsils” after all that.

Do you have a comment, question or just want to say “hey”?

You can reply to this email, or you can Contact Us right now.

Until Next Time

Mary and Mike